4 11/16" box

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Where and why did they come up with that size box . 4 11/16" ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
While we're guessing, it the maximum width that you can have for each box when installing three boxes between two studs that are 16" on center.

And yes I just made that up. :unsure:

garbo

Where and why did they come up with that size box . 4 11/16" ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Side note on 4 11/16" Boxes: I installed a few of them in my garage feed from 3 4" EMT years ago. Last year I wanted to install double duplex receptacles in two of them in case I wanted to plug a portable table saw or something else into. Neither of the big box stores or my local supply house had covers in stock so glad I was sitting down when I checked prices thru Amazon & other site. One place wanted almost $15 for a 4 11/16" double decora cover that I was going to use for a GFCI Decora receptacles. Was lucky enough to find a 4 11/16" to a 1900 box mud ring in my PLO ( YEP parts left over ) pile. so went with that.

darekelec

I heard somewhere that it’s the maximum width that you can have for each box when installing three boxes between two studs that are 16" on center.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I heard somewhere that it’s the maximum width that you can have for each box when installing three boxes between two studs that are 16" on center.
If that's true, it originated back when 2x4s were fully 2" x 4", because 3 x 4-11/16" (4.6875") = 14.0625".