4" Box attachment

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Believe I asked this a while ago. If your installing ceiling sensor in a 4" box in an acoustical or gyp board ceiling, do you always use a T- Bar to support the box? Thanks.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
I do if I have them. I've used expandable Caddy brackets and scrap pieces of metal studs if in a pinch. Those occ. sensors weigh next to nothing so anything you can securely fasten to the grid will work just fine.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I have used small toggle anchors and no box at all. Some of them come with anchors that are intended to secure the sensor straight to the acoustical panel.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have used small toggle anchors and no box at all. Some of them come with anchors that are intended to secure the sensor straight to the acoustical panel.
I agree with strat, the box isn't usually needed. Open Class 2 splices can be made above the ceiling.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I don’t use a box. The Hubbell sensors we use the most have a 1/2” nipple that can be fitted directly to the tile.

I use a lot of greengate sensors also, they have a backplate, we toggle it to the ceiling tile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jems

New User
Occupation
pc
If I have them, I do. If I was in a bind, I've utilised expanding Caddy brackets and leftover metal studs. Anything you can safely fasten to the grid will work nicely because those occupancy sensors are so light.