4 conductor feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmartin

I am installing (4) 200 amp meter pak with (4) Tenant breakers, 1 phase 120/240 volt on a commercial bldg. According to local regulations if the load center is more than 6 Ft. from service panel you shall install a (4) feeder conductors with seperate neutral and grounding bus bars. I have sized the conductors at 3/0 copper (90deg C) 225 amp. 2 (3/0) ungrounded conductors, 1 (3/0) grounded conductor. Where in the code does it state what size the grouding conductor can be reduced.

iwire

Staff member
Table 250.122 will tell you what size EGC.

3/0 is to small for a 225 amp feeder, your limited to the 75 C rating.

You will need 4/0 copper.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think that he's saying that at 90 degrees the #3/0 is good for 225 amps although he cannot use that rating. Since his meter packs are only good for 200 amps I would assume that his OCPD is more likely 200 amps rather than 225 amps therefore the #3/0 are OK.

gmartin

Table 250.122 Is grounding coductor to ground rods. Grounding conductor size I am looking for is from meter center disconnect to load center. I know what I have been told is one size smaller than the 3/0 which is 2/0. I am trying to locate it code book.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
gmartin said:
Table 250.122 Is grounding coductor to ground rods. Grounding conductor size I am looking for is from meter center disconnect to load center. I know what I have been told is one size smaller than the 3/0 which is 2/0. I am trying to locate it code book.

A ground rod doesn't require a conductor to be larger than #6 Cu.

BossMan20

250.66 is the table used for sizing a the ground at the point of entrance service and this is what you run to either the water service or building steel. you size this ground it based on table 250.66 which lists 3/0 ungrounded cu would take a #4 to the water service. that said, if you are wiring a panel that isn't point of entrance (meaning it is fed from a disconnect switch or from a distribution panel-then you use 250.122which sizes the ground per the size of the line side ocpd (this of coarse, would not go to the water service)

BossMan20

gmartin said:

the key words here being "from the meter center Disconnect to the load center) use 250.122 for 200 amps use a #6 ground (green) with 3 3/0's (black,red and white)

Status
Not open for further replies.