4 gang outlet circuiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianMuir

Hi,
I have a project calling for me to develop plans for a renovated area with limited wall space for outlets. Client has asked for 4 gang receptacles at those limited locations, and I just wanted to check if 4 gangs are typically circuited two on each half of a split 240V circuit.
thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I assume you are dealing with Canada codes but I would make sure that 4 gang recep plates are available. An easy fix to that would be to use decora style recep. with a 4 gang decora plate.

Are you asking about a MWBC? Is this a residence? What is the voltage in Canada 120v or 240v?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
FF, several thoughts, in no particular order:

Make sure they really mean four duplex receptacles, and not just a "quad", which would be two duplexes.

There's no steadfast rule for splitting the circuits up. It depends on what you want to be able to power.

An outlet strip would allow several plugs in one receptacle, so there's no benefit to more than one per one circuit.

I doubt everything in the room will be within six feet of the receptacles, so cords will no doubt be used anyway.

BrianMuir

It is for a renovation to a college building, and I mean 4 outlets. Is my terminology incorrect?

Canadian wiring is very much like US, voltage is the same (120V hot to neutral), codes are very similar.

It seems like I should just treat it like two duplex outlets, no problem.
thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.