4-Pole Circuit Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

faresos

Hello Everyone/;

I'm working on a project that will require to utilize power circuit breakers type Automatic transfer switch. The main service is 1200A at 480Y/277V. The main switchboard will have three main breakers configuration (Utility-Gen1-Gen2). Generator 2 is used as a back up only for Gen1 if it didn't start. My question, do I need 4-pole breakers to switch the neutral since our service is 1200A (LSIG)?

Thanks,

ron

Will the loads be 4 wire or 3 wire?

If 3 wire load, then you bond the N-G at the gens and the service and do not bring the grounded conductor from the gens to the Main SWBD, then 3 pole CBs are fine.

If the loads are 4 wire, the 4 pole CBs are the best for transfer. Be sure each source is setup as a SDS with the N-G bonded at each (or once at the Main SWBD if there are no disconnects upstream) and you bring a 4W service / feeder to the Main SWBD

faresos

Will the loads be 4 wire or 3 wire?

If 3 wire load, then you bond the N-G at the gens and the service and do not bring the grounded conductor from the gens to the Main SWBD, then 3 pole CBs are fine.

If the loads are 4 wire, the 4 pole CBs are the best for transfer. Be sure each source is setup as a SDS with the N-G bonded at each (or once at the Main SWBD if there are no disconnects upstream) and you bring a 4W service / feeder to the Main SWBD

Thanks Ron for your reply

The system will have 4-wire loads but I think can make it 3-wire loads if this will simplify it. I can provide 480-480Y/277V for the lighting loads (277V). The generators will have it's own output breaker which to me I will need 4-pole breakers for the generators in the switchboard, correct? Do I also need 4-pole breaker for the utility main at the switchboard as well?

Thanks,

ron

If you can take care of the 4 wire loads downstream separately, that makes everything easier.

Then the three input breakers in the main SWBD would be 3 pole, the gen mounted breakers would be 3 pole, and N-G bond at each first disconnect (at gens or the alternator connection box for the gens).

No grounded conductors (3 wire only plus EGC) brought from gens to main SWBD.

Status
Not open for further replies.