4"RGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
What about the time guys? 10-15 10’ sticks(straight run) with 4 guys in 7 hour shift doable?
Do you personally know the guys who will be doing this? Have they done the same type of install before? Might be good to check in with them if it's unknown then you're dependent on what kind of random 2 guys can do.

I've never worked on or estimated this size rigid underground but if it was something I've never done I'd either need to go by the book numbers and pad it for my learning curve.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Do you personally know the guys who will be doing this? Have they done the same type of install before? Might be good to check in with them if it's unknown then you're dependent on what kind of random 2 guys can do.

I've never worked on or estimated this size rigid underground but if it was something I've never done I'd either need to go by the book numbers and pad it for my learning curve.
Yes shop guys. How bout if we're talking about your guys who've done this before?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes shop guys. How bout if we're talking about your guys who've done this before?
Then your numbers are fine. Guys who do this work all of the time will put in far more conduit per day than you're estimating for. The biggest obstacle versus PVC is the weight of RMC which is about 103 pounds per length.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Then your numbers are fine. Guys who do this work all of the time will put in far more conduit per day than you're estimating for. The biggest obstacle versus PVC is the weight of RMC which is about 103 pounds per length.
Yea someone actually told me they could put in around 250’ a day…that 4 men on an7 hour shift . I found that to be quite a lot of 4” RGS in a trench in one day.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Yea someone actually told me they could put in around 250’ a day…that 4 men on an7 hour shift . I found that to be quite a lot of 4” RGS in a trench in one day.
25 sticks per person a day may be doable but is everyone 25 to 30 and build like an athlete who can do this for 3 weeks straight. They'll get more efficient but will also get warn out. With breaks that per person setting one every 15 min but you need two guys minimum so that's every 7.5 min one needs to go in and be threaded on.

macmikeman

I think I would have submitted a cost savings (once again my age has my memory slipping so I can't pull the exact term out ) proposal to the end customer that has a cost reduction for the customer and you get a piece of that reduction and less grunting also. Just word it so the engineer who decided on burying rigid steel gets complimented on his genius ideas first since they are easily offended by obvious mistakes they often make. Tell em schedule 80 pvc doesn't corrode in encasement in concrete. I know for a fact metal conduit does given enough time.

mooreaaryan

Occupation
Electrician
If your cre is experience. Yes 8x40=320 feet of 4” rigid straight shots. I have two industrial crews apprentice and jman and they have done very similar work in a 10hr shift. If you get them to prestage and plan properly or have access to equipment to just push it in you’ll be fine. If the are not use to handling 4” rigid they will need two and half days to fighting threads and stl8

Status
Not open for further replies.