4" RMC Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken In NJ

I know that Steel RMC is stronger then Aluminum. But does anyone think it will make a difference if Aluminum is used for mast that will go unsupported 36" above the roof-line ? The quad plex that will be attached will be around 50' from the pole.

Reason I ask is that for some reason, the supply house we use has the Aluminum 4" RMC cheaper then the steel. ?? Dont seem rite .. but I double checked and its correct.

Also . Can Steel thread-less Compression fittings be used for Aluminum RMC ? The RMC will need to be cut and we do not have the means to thread anything over 2 inches.

Thanks for you input

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Go check with a fencing company for the RGS, they can get you the length you need and do whatever threading is necessary.

You'll probably find the price is better also.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I assume that the conductors will go down the 4" via a weather head. If so there are threadless weather heads and you would just cut the 4" rigid conduit to length and install the weather head on the blad end. I would use the steel conduit for this application.

RUWired

Also . Can Steel thread-less Compression fittings be used for Aluminum RMC ? The RMC will need to be cut and we do not have the means to thread anything over 2 inches.

Thanks for you input

According to article 344.14 steel fittings can be used with aluminum rigid pipe.

There are some rules in 344.42 and 314.15 to follow.

Rick

iwire

Staff member
In my opinion the first place to ask this question is the power company, they usually have detailed requirements for masts that they will be attaching too.

I would not be surprised if they require steel.

Of course they did hook up this PVC mast .... :roll:

PlasticMast3.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I deal with several POCOs and All of them require steel, as Bob suggests.
Some will accept IMC, some will not.

{wonder how long (in seconds) that PVC install would have lasted without the guy to the mast?}

Ken In NJ

I did call the POC's meter inspector this afternoon .. and he said that Aluminum RMC was fine .. even though their "book" says steel. Since the quad plex drop was fairly short.

I do have a clamp on head. But still need to go through an LB then into a CT Cabinet, so we will still have one un-threaded end.

Sure hope that PVC in the above photo is at least Sch 80 :D

I'm still amazed to get Aluminum for LESS the steel :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.