4 socket meter

Therealcrt

Occupation
Electrician
Question: I installed a 4 socket meter can bolted together to a main disconnect for a townhouse. All the sub panels were ran underground in 2” conduit. I piped right up into the meter can all 4 conduits into the concentric knockouts. 1 of the concentric knockouts land right underneath the ground bar pan which can be removed to pull the wire into that conduit but the lowest meter socket assembly is also in the way which is a horrible design and the socket has torque marks on all the nuts and bolts which indicate I cannot remove it in order to pull the feeders in the conduit. Dumb dumb design but the question is can I remove that meter socket assembly to pull in the conductors or what? I have no other option

Question: I installed a 4 socket meter can bolted together to a main disconnect for a townhouse. All the sub panels were ran underground in 2” conduit. I piped right up into the meter can all 4 conduits into the concentric knockouts. 1 of the concentric knockouts land right underneath the ground bar pan which can be removed to pull the wire into that conduit but the lowest meter socket assembly is also in the way which is a horrible design and the socket has torque marks on all the nuts and bolts which indicate I cannot remove it in order to pull the feeders in the conduit. Dumb dumb design but the question is can I remove that meter socket assembly to pull in the conductors or what? I have no other option
Sure I don't see an issue, I remove guts all the time for easier wire pulling. Besides, who's gunna know? 😉

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Agreed. Pulling out the entire 'guts' in one piece won't disturb any bolted factory electrical connections.

Plus, many meter stacks are field-modifiable to, for example, change bus connections for phase balance.