4" Solder block section for lightning protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahualin

I am reviewing a lightning protection system design. The drawing shows a 4" solder block section on the bonding conductor between grounding loop and steel column . I was told because the bonding conductor is stranded conductor that can get moisture through the slab. The 4" solder block section can block any moisture. Have you guys heard about it? Could you please tell me which code requires it? Thanks.

bsh

Years ago I used someting similar to this when ground cables came into a building. The idae was to prvent capillary action from bring water into the building. I don't know of any codes that require of forbid the practice though.

tkb

I have done the same thing with a cadweld splice welded in line on a bare CU wire to prevent wicking of water through the strands..
The wire was embedded in a concrete pour through a foundation below grade.
I think I got the idea from the cadweld book.

dahualin said:
I am reviewing a lightning protection system design. The drawing shows a 4" solder block section on the bonding conductor between grounding loop and steel column . I was told because the bonding conductor is stranded conductor that can get moisture through the slab. The 4" solder block section can block any moisture. Have you guys heard about it? Could you please tell me which code requires it? Thanks.

It is a non-electrical requirement for an electrical material. It is not an NEC requirement but could be either Building Code requirement or just construction practice.

bphgravity

I don't really get it. Perhaps it's the terminology being used. What exactly is "4" solder block"?

My thinking is in line with Mr. Weress. I get the feeling there is some concern for protection of the structural elements of the building and not the LPS electrical components.

Is this a true LPS or a counter-poise system?

Status
Not open for further replies.