4-Wire Loads Connected To 3-Wire Source

Occupation
EE
Have a project replacing an old delta-wye unit-substation. There are some loads that need to remain energized during construction so they "temporarily" connected them through a breaker on an adjacent delta-delta unit-sub. Basically connecting 4-wire loads to a 3-wire source inside of a temporary fused disconnect near the secondary switchgear. See attached one-line.

I don't know much about the loads that are connected downstream but I am assuming there is unbalance and therefore a need for a neutral. My concern is with the neutral current path back to the source. If there are phase-to-neutral loads, I am not really sure where the source even exists. Electrical current always flows in a loop. A grounded wye provides a reference for the potential but a neutral conductor is installed to provide an engineered path for the current so that it doesn’t actually flow through the earth, which can be unpredictable and dangerous. Care needs to be taken to make sure that parallel paths aren't created by grounding the neutral at multiple locations. Which begs the question of why a multi-grounded neutral distribution system is a good idea. But I digress...

In this case, the neutral conductor simply stops at the point where they made the transition from 3 to 4 wire. The remainder of the path to the phase-to-neutral/ground source seems ambiguous, and this is where my safety concern arises because the current has to be going somewhere. Maybe it's finding a path to another grounded-wye transformer, on the same primary system, somewhere nearby?

My contention is that transitioning from delta to wye (3 to 4 wire) happens all the time, but it needs to be done in a way that creates a proper phase-to-ground source, such as a grounding transformer and not just in a fused disconnect. But I guess also that if there are no 277V loads downstream, maybe there isn't a problem?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-01 100434.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-01 100434.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If there is not a neutral back to the source, you can expect voltage regulation issues like you have with an open neutral on a 120/240V circuit.

Don't do it, unless you are willing to risk equipment failures. The more the imbalance the more chance of issues.

Occupation
EE
If there is not a neutral back to the source, you can expect voltage regulation issues like you have with an open neutral on a 120/240V circuit.

Don't do it, unless you are willing to risk equipment failures. The more the imbalance the more chance of issues.
Well... they already did it unfortunately. I am telling them they need to correct it but I'm having a hard time finding a specific code violation. The 4-wire side should be considered a grounded system and wired as such. Whereas the source is an ungrounded system.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As you mentioned, If they have any 277v loads there definitely could be a problem (the smoke should have leaked out by now) and, they have any drives they may suffer if they were designed for wye systems.
Code-wise it simply becomes an ungrounded system.
250.21(B) would come into play.

kwired

Electron manager
If you have three phase three wire, you either need it set up as ungrounded system with ground monitoring/indication or corner ground it.

Corner grounded can make any line to ground loads either see full line to line volts or no voltage at all if you happen to be on the grounded phase. This presumes the so called neutral conductor is connected to something grounded someplace. If left floating then is possible to get some balance but will be all over the place as loading changes. Ungrounded system will be all over the place in similar fashion if said neutral is floating, if said neutral is grounded it would likely cause issues on the ground monitoring system.