4 wire to generator ?

sparkync

I have a customer who I am going to be running a line from the "Main electrical panel" to a "generator inlet" box on the outside. I've noticed that the "50 amp inlet boxes" I see, don't have a "ground terminal screw", only a "ground jumper" to the box, mounted directly to the box, with no provision for another wire. I got to thinking that the "house ground" is already in place through the water pipes, and ground rods, then it seems I would only have to run a 3 conductor cable instead of a 4 conductor to the inlet box, since the generator would only be supplying the hots and neutral, since the "ground" is already available in the electrical panel. Am I thinking right according to Code? The run is going to be around 80ft., so I need to know if I'm thinking right, to save money on the wire. Normally, I would run 4 wires. I thought it strange the inlet boxes did not have a grounding lug available in the box. Thanks for the input.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have a customer who I am going to be running a line from the "Main electrical panel" to a "generator inlet" box on the outside. I've noticed that the "50 amp inlet boxes" I see, don't have a "ground terminal screw", only a "ground jumper" to the box, mounted directly to the box, with no provision for another wire. I got to thinking that the "house ground" is already in place through the water pipes, and ground rods, then it seems I would only have to run a 3 conductor cable instead of a 4 conductor to the inlet box, since the generator would only be supplying the hots and neutral, since the "ground" is already available in the electrical panel. Am I thinking right according to Code? The run is going to be around 80ft., so I need to know if I'm thinking right, to save money on the wire. Normally, I would run 4 wires. I thought it strange the inlet boxes did not have a grounding lug available in the box. Thanks for the input.
When you connect your EGC to the receptacle the jumper bonds the box or vice versa, the RV inlet EG connection is in the side of the inlet.

1729015585387.png

sparkync

That's what I thought. I'll just have to add a lug to the "inlet box" I'm looking at. According to the pitchure, it don't look like it's got one to attach the ground to coming from the inside electrical panel to.
Thanks

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
It does. Unless it’s defective. There will be a lug inside.

You will need the EGC. Ground rods and water pipe bonding is a separate issue unrelated to the need to run an EGC.