400-7 (8 &10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngrRick

I have a system that is powered by a desk top, dry, step down, sealed transformer, with a pass through ground. it has 9 ft of cord coming out both sides for 120vac in and 12vac out.
the load mounts on the wall, it is designed for easy access and the 12vac connector will move when accessed. I am wanting to place(hide)the transformer above the ceiling tile, and run the 12vac side of the transformer down some conduit and into a double gang J box, where i will mount my system (load) over the j-box, for aesthetic reason.
I was reviewing article 400-7 and i belive that i meet sub 8 and 10 of the NEC

what do you think?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: 400-7 (8 &10)

I don't think there is specific permission in 400.7.

You don't have moving parts, so 10 is out. (An example of #10 might be a robot arm).

I don't think #8 would apply either. The only place I have heard of #8 being used is a factory floor where motors burn out frequently and they keep spares on hand. Picture an assembly line where it costs thousands of dollars to be down for an hour.

Steve

EngrRick

yeah... OK, Not what i wanted to hear.
I want to think Mike and all those who replied.
this has been a great experience and is a great resources.
thanks again
EngrRick

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by benaround:
That 120vac recpt. above the ceiling is also a code violation,FYI.

frank
Frank I can not think of any code section that prohibits a receptacle above a ceiling. :confused:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

You can have a receptacle above a suspended ceiling for use with HACR equipment, see 210.63.
Portable cord can not be used above a suspended ceiling, there have been changes in the 99 and 02 NEC to clarify this is not allowed.
The intent is to have portable cord exposed so it can be inspected.
400.8 Uses Not Permitted
(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

Oh OK.
What we mean is flexible cord.
400.1 Scope.
This article covers general requirements, applications, and construction specifications for flexible cords and flexible cables.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

So we can install a receptacle above a hung ceiling but we can only plug in something on a temporary basis such as a drop light while servicing HACR equipment? What about a cord and plug connected condensate pump for the same HACR equipment?

EngrRick

the transformer and the cords coming out each side are hard wired (sealed) all in one.
there is no quick disconnect connector at the transformer. I buy them that way with UL approval

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

One option would be to put the transformer in a communications closet or a mechanical closet and wall mount it.

The other option (I think this would comply, but I'm not 100% sure) would be to mount the transformer in a electrical box with a receptacle installed in the box. (It might be better to find a transformer made to be hardwired, and forgo the receptacle and plug).

How big is the transformer?? You would have to consider the build up of heat in the box.

benaround

Ryan-618 ,Iwire,

Gentlemen,Did you fail to notice that the box above the ceiling was not securly fastened in place? Is that not a violation?? Or did you just notice that I was thinking of the cord thing but wrote about the recpt. thing? I hate it when I do that. Allow me to stand corrected.

frank

iwire

Staff member

Frank I do not see what you see, I can not tell if the duplex is mounted or not.

Infinity

What about a cord and plug connected condensate pump for the same HACR equipment
Not compliant anymore, I have to get the HVAC guys to provide hardwire pumps now.

Status
Not open for further replies.