400 Amp Meter Main Pedestal

Alien Legs

Occupation
Master Electrician
I will be wiring a new home with a 400 amp service.

The meter pedestal will be around 20 feet from the pad mounted transformer. We are responsible for the conduit and wiring from the transformer to the pedestal.

The meter pedestal will be max 50 feet from the home so we will not need another emergency disconnect on the home. The homeowners do not want disconnects on the home.

The home will have a 200 amp panel in the basement and a 200 amp panel in the attached garage.

What meter/main setups are allowed for use in this application. I am having a hard time finding anyone else that has any experience with this type of service.

I am allowed 2 separate disconnects/breakers with 2 separate lines going to the house from the meter pedestal? I think not but what are my other options if not?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
What Code cycle is in effect ? 225.30 changed between '17 and '20. Under the '17 Code you can not have two feeders.

Alien Legs

Occupation
Master Electrician
Are both panels the same distance from the 400 amp service?
Both panels will be within 50 feet of the pedestal inside the basement and garage. The wiring to the garage panel will be longer because they want the wiring to enter at the same point on the home. The garage is attached to the home.

Alien Legs

Occupation
Master Electrician
I checked with a state inspector. He says 2 separate lines into the same structure run from the meter main pedestal is fine as long as the service equipment is labeled that both breakers attached to the meter box have to be shut down to turn all power off to the structure.