400 Amp Meter Pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUWIREDRITE

I recently did an addition for one of my clients which a service upgrade was needed.After doing the proper calculations we sized the new service accordingly. They had an existing 200 amp single phase 120/240 volt servive.
The new service was installed as a 400 amp 120/240 volt service, I fed it with 3 -500mcm copper conductors to a new (utility company supplied) 400 amp meter pan. The new meter pan fed 2- 200 amp exterior mounted raintight 200 amp disconnects in parellel. The disconnects were both fed with 4/0 aluminum to there respective mains.From there ,200 amp SER cable were run to there respective sub panels which were both 200 amp main breaker 40 circuit panels. The local utility company supplies us meter pans for any service over 200 amps. During the installation of the service i notice a label in the meter pan stating 325 amp maximum meter only. I was a bit in question about this label but completed the service installation. On final inspection the service failed becaused the local inspection company stated that my 200 amp main breakers had to be downsized to 2- 150amp breakers due to the overload capacity of the meter pan. I needed 400 amps to supply the dwelling and wound up with a 300 amp service due to the meter pan. I contacted the local utility company and the said the meter pan was rated for 400 amps to the lugs, my question is why is there a 325 amp rating on the meter itself? My customer paid for a 400 amp service and wound up with only a 300 amp service to comply with the meter rating.Again the utility company told me that meter pan was designed for 400 amp services and thats all they use.On the exterior box label it stated Millbank 400 amp 120/240 volt raintight overhead meter socket. Any views on this?

hardworkingstiff

The ones I've seen are rated 400-amp non-continuous and 320-amp continuous.

I've heard there is a push by some to get the meterbases rated for 400-amp continuous.

Since the meterbase is utility owned, I would argue that the AHJ does not have jurisdiction over this.

If the NEC calculations are less than 400-amps, I doubt you will ever see a 320-amp or larger continuous load.

Look closer at the 200-amp panels and you may find they are not rated for 200-amp continuous loads.

mdshunk

The 400 amp continuous meters are bolt-on style. If you need anything more than 320 continuous, most POCO's want to CT meter that nowadays.

This main breaker downsizing is rediculous, though. That's akin to the guy that adds up all the branch breaker ratings and sounds the alarm because it adds up to more than the main breaker rating.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The 200 amp breakers are only rated for 160 amps of continues load (200 x 80%). 160 + 160 = 320 amps

iwire

Staff member
curt swartz said:
The 200 amp breakers are only rated for 160 amps of continues load (200 x 80%). 160 + 160 = 320 amps

Thank you Curt for pointing out that a 320 socket is perfect with a 400 amp service.

320 continuous is all we can load a typical 400 amp service to.

To take advantage of a 400 amp continuous meter you would need a 500 amp main panel or a 100% rated 400 amp panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.