400 ampere service

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvcraven0522

Occupation
Engineer
I have situation where I have tenant space requiring a 400amp meter and disconnect. The current meter reads 320CL. So, I contacted the meter manufacturer and was told this is meter rated for 320 continuous load. So I plan to reuse this meter.

My issue is the 400 ampere disconnect and the physical size of a fusible switch. I have attached a photo of the meter services and wire way currently on the building. The disconnects shown are all 200amp. The E.C. is not able to install a 400amp fusible switch in lieu of a 200amp at this location. I suggested a 400 amp circuit breaker thinking the enclosure would be smaller. If for some reason that does not work would anyone have a suggestion how I still tap into this wiring and still meet code.

As always thanks for any suggestions.

Dan Craven

Attachments

• S_011.jpg
    S_011.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 29

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Hope somebody did a load calculation :)
If all else fails,. route a new conduit from the main to the left of the door (on the metal siding)

kwired

Electron manager
Nine disconnects at one location, Hopefully there is a main ahead of them?

You can run service to each occupant, in this kind of situation, but this is not to each occupant this is to one location.

Might be possible to find a meter-main all in one cabinet that will fit the width needed?

hmspe

Occupation
PE
Looks like the entire service is ony rated 400 amps based on the single 4" conduit for the service lateral and the single 4" supplying the gutter. I second the comment about doing a load calc.

kwired

Electron manager
Looks like the entire service is ony rated 400 amps based on the single 4" conduit for the service lateral and the single 4" supplying the gutter. I second the comment about doing a load calc.
And that there probably was originally six disconnects and then seven and eight added sometime later, then a ninth was added.

Interesting. Looks like originally there were 6 disconnects, then two more added. Then.....oh what the heck, let's add one more. 😂

Highly questionable that this is compliant. You do have 230.40 exception #1, but are still restricted to "not more than six sets of disconnects per service grouped in any one location" per 230.70. can probably make it work with some.... creative.... definition of grouping or calling it two services (which is also a long shot).

Not sure if you will have enough space for an enclosed circuit breaker looks like you would need a Siemens 3VAE6003r. Which is 25.984 x 47.638 x 9.843.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
And that there probably was originally six disconnects and then seven and eight added sometime later, then a ninth was added.
Interesting. Looks like originally there were 6 disconnects, then two more added. Then.....oh what the heck, let's add one more. 😂

Highly questionable that this is compliant. You do have 230.40 exception #1, but are still restricted to "not more than six sets of disconnects per service grouped in any one location" per 230.70.
??
Maybe I’m looking at something wrong here…
is that not the main disconnect on the right? The big box?
there is a handle on it like its the main.

kwired

Electron manager

Highly questionable that this is compliant. You do have 230.40 exception #1, but are still restricted to "not more than six sets of disconnects per service grouped in any one location" per 230.70. can probably make it work with some.... creative.... definition of grouping or calling it two services (which is also a long shot).

Not sure if you will have enough space for an enclosed circuit breaker looks like you would need a Siemens 3VAE6003r. Which is 25.984 x 47.638 x 9.843.
is a very long shot unless you are supplying from separate sources.

kwired

Electron manager
??
Maybe I’m looking at something wrong here…
is that not the main disconnect on the right? The big box?
there is a handle on it like its the main.
After zooming I do see it so that may be the main. I first though it was just a CT cabinet used as a splice box, since there is all self contained metering.

Status
Not open for further replies.