400A meter socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgrey

I am installing a 400 A 1ph meter socket on a pedistal for a friends excavating business. After all my figuring I have come to the conclusion I will have to run parrallel 4/0 copper for the line side ( approx 40' from pole to meter including riser) and parrallel 300kcmil aluminum on the load side (approx 100' from meter to trough where they will tap to two 200A MB QO panels). This appears to be the best way due to constraints on the size of conductors by the lugs supplied with the panel and cost (max 600kcmil single/250 kcmil twin LINE, max 350kcmil twin LOAD) All copper would be cost prohibitive and the proper size parrallel aluminum wont fit under the line side lugs. Can I change the lugs w/o voiding the UL listing? Can I put CU on one side and AL on the other? Am I close or way off here? This will be grounded with made 3/4" copper rods and cadwelded 1/0 bare.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why can't you use parallel 250 kcmil Al from the load side of the meter to the line side of the panel? These conductors would have an ampacity of 410 amps (205 A*2= 410 amps) and will fit in the supplied lugs.

dgrey

600 mcm aluminum is rated at 385A. Skin of building is wavy, corrugated sheet steel, not a perfect surface. What about derating and voltage drop on the parrallel 250's

Status
Not open for further replies.