400A PANEL WITH TWO 200A main disconnect 230.71 NEC 2020, so is not there any exceptions?

Designer101

Occupation
Solar and ESS Designer
Exact comment from plan reviewer.

The line diagram shows that the existing main service panel will be replaced with a new 400A split phase
(200/200) service panel. The panelboard as shown on the line diagram appears to be in violation of CEC
230.71. Panelboards MUST be a type where there is only ONE MAIN breaker in the service panel that
shuts off all other breakers. The new panel CANNOT be a type which has additional breaker slots fed
directly from the utility meter (ie. cannot install a “hot bus” service panel anymore per the 2020 CEC).
Please update the plans to show a service panel with a single service disconnect.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is not in the NEC. If you have equipment with completely separate compartments for each service disconnect, the NEC would permit it. The issue with the 2020 is the question as to what is a "compartment". UL 67 resolved that after the 2020 code was published by stating a compartment is an enclosure that complies with UL 50, the standard for junction boxes.

pv_n00b

What 230.71(B)(1) and (2) offer is
(1) Separate enclosures with a main service disconnecting means in each enclosure
(2) Panelboards with a main service disconnecting means in each panelboard enclosure
If the 400A service panel has two enclosures and each enclosure has a service disconnect it's good.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I have yet to see a 2x200A meter main that complies with the 2020 NEC. So while the plan checker's verbiage sounds a bit confused about the exact requirement, they are probably ultimately correct that you need a different plan.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have yet to see a 2x200A meter main that complies with the 2020 NEC. So while the plan checker's verbiage sounds a bit confused about the exact requirement, they are probably ultimately correct that you need a different plan
Eaton has one , however you would have to be sure that meter socket is on your power companies list of approved meter sockets.
Milbank does also, scroll to the third page. One of the MIlbank ones even has a load center fed by one of the 200 amp mains.

Designer101

Occupation
Solar and ESS Designer

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Licensed Electrician and General Contractor
I have yet to see a 2x200A meter main that complies with the 2020 NEC. So while the plan checker's verbiage sounds a bit confused about the exact requirement, they are probably ultimately correct that you need a different plan.

Siemens manufactures them. It’s a real bummer because it eliminates the built in bus, but it does give you two 200a disconnects for a typical CL320 meter. It’s also a bit ridiculous. They also make a solar ready one with a third disconnect, although it would probably be easier to load side tap one of the 200a disconnects as long as you had upstream a OCPD.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Good to know the manufacturers are finally catching up. Thankfully I haven't personally ended up needing to check on availability yet.

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Licensed Electrician and General Contractor
Good to know the manufacturers are finally catching up. Thankfully I haven't personally ended up needing to check on availability yet.

I’m sure it’ll be rough.

I’ve noticed that PG&E is now requiring a panel spec for every main service panel replacement — they always have for anything more than residential, but now it’s everything.