400amp Service with 2 200amp Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
What is the correct way to do a 400 amp service with 2 200amp panels? Or a 600 amp with 3 200amp main breaker panels?

Do I need a gutter above the panel with taps, or can I run 3/0 from each panel to the whether head?

What about grounding and bonding two or 3 main panels?

The service in question is 3 phase.

91tCRLXas1L._SL1500_.jpg

oldsparky52

How is this being metered?

If you are using a meterbase, you can run conductors from each panel to the meterbase as long as the meterbase has the lugs to accept the conductors.

If a CT cabinet is being used then you can install the conductors from each panel to the CT cabinet.

It would be unusual for the metering to be such that you can install multiple feeds from the weatherhead.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I like a gutter with taps down to the panels. Bond the gutter and run GEC to GES.

OR

Bond the neutral in each panel. Run one GEC from one panel to the GES. Tap a GEC from the first to the others. Irreversible and sized accordingly. The equipment ahead of the Service Disconnects still needs to be bonded.

OR

Multiple other variations...

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
How is this being metered?

If you are using a meterbase, you can run conductors from each panel to the meterbase as long as the meterbase has the lugs to accept the conductors.

If a CT cabinet is being used then you can install the conductors from each panel to the CT cabinet.

It would be unusual for the metering to be such that you can install multiple feeds from the weatherhead.

Well... :p

Attachments

• MotelCurrentTransformers-LG.jpg
    MotelCurrentTransformers-LG.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 9

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I like a gutter with taps down to the panels. Bond the gutter and run GEC to GES.

OR

Bond the neutral in each panel. Run one GEC from one panel to the GES. Tap a GEC from the first to the others. Irreversible and sized accordingly. The equipment ahead of the Service Disconnects still needs to be bonded.

OR

Multiple other variations...

Out of all that you know of, which tends to be the cheapest?

Lean and mean is my desire.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Yes, but is labor more or materials? What happens if I want to add that 4th panel? Is there adequate space for triple lugs? Three conduits or one gutter? Is the time to calculate each scenario worth the effort?

Labor not as much as material. Material capitol cost is the driver. Not concerned about the future.

I can imagine each scenario.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Yes, but is labor more or materials? What happens if I want to add that 4th panel? Is there adequate space for triple lugs? Three conduits or one gutter? Is the time to calculate each scenario worth the effort?

If I have a disconnect on the outside for cold sequence metering, all my grounds must come out of that, correct?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
:lol:

Yes it has been done, but it unusual around here, especially new work.

I did a marina in 2004 that had the CTs installed in the UG transformer with the meter on a 4x4 post about a foot off of the transformer. Unusual for this area.

More common is CT in the padmount and the meter on the pad itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.