404.8(b)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin

I have a 4 gang box with 2 cicuits inside. 1 circuit is 120V. One circuit is 277V. There are 3 switches at 277V and 1 switch at 120V. The box is in a poured concrete wall and I am trying to still be able to use this box for these switches obviously because putting another switch in that wall would be quite a task. Any suggestions would be very helpfull. Thanks, Justin

bphgravity

Re: 404.8(b)?

Many boxes come equipped with barriers that can be permanently installed. If your box does not, you are pretty much out of luck.

benaround

justin,

If you have to use that location,then get a relay&enclosure with coil voltage at 277vac,change out the 120vac switch to 277vac switch to control the relay,put your original switch wires on the N.O. contacts of the relay.

Now all the switches are the same voltage same phase.

frank

marinesgt0411

you can get dividers for a masonary box that have two pins that fit into the holes in the back of the box and slide into the notch between the switch locations. check your RACO catalog

Are the 277volt switches on the same circuit if not you will need to divide between them also.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Justin, we use the items mentioned by Marinesgt0411 on a regular basis in hospitals to separate Normal and Critical branches in one box.

0706.jpg

Click here for the partitions for different boxes

Roger

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Is it a violation to have a seperately derived system in the same box?

How would the 120V and 277V systems read if you applied a meter to it? :confused:

George
I do'nt know the answers to your questions, but I think any phase to phase reading over 300 volts would be a violation of 404.8(B). For example, two phases of a 480/277V system in the device box for 277V switches.
Buck

Status
Not open for further replies.