408.41 and 110.14

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_618

I don't have the time to properly write the change and substantiation, but I will propose to relocate 408.41 to 110.14. Why is terminating two nuetrals under one lug only hazardous in a panel?

Anyone agree?

BTW: I'll follow the rules and write this properly when I have a few minutes.

[ May 16, 2005, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

bphgravity

Re: 408.41 and 110.14

I like the idea but I am having trouble thinink of an application in which you would double up grounded neutrals in other than a panelboard. At a panelboard it is quite convienent and easy to double up grounded neutrals especially when you start running out of terminals.

Most devices that I can think of already have a restriction on the number of conductors under one lug/scrw per the manufacturers instructions. And devices like gfci's that have pressure plate screws are actually intened to have two grounded neutrals under one screw.

I have also seen many control panels with terminal strips with only one or two grounded neutral spots. In some cases, 3 or 4 conductos end up under one screw.

It would be interesting to see some data on equipment failure and/or downtime assoicated with lost grounded neutrals in situations where multiple terminations under one lug or screw were made.

Status
Not open for further replies.