42+ circuit panelbaords and Square D

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
sounds like they're not going to make any loadcenters larger than the 42 space they already have. its hard enough as it is to find enough knockouts to accomodate 42 circuits.

mdshunk

Don't they already make them? I'm pretty sure someone posted a picture of the carton flap many months ago, where it showed 40 spaces, 80 circuits.

quogueelectric

42 ckt panelboard

42 ckt panelboard

I have personally installed panelboards which have a UL stamp and more than 42 ckts ATLAS switch co had ul stamp on custom panelboard.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
quogueelectric said:
I have personally installed panelboards which have a UL stamp and more than 42 ckts ATLAS switch co had ul stamp on custom panelboard.

But even custom power panelboards were/are required to have a maximum of 42 circuits. Unless of course it's a power panelboard, then more than 42 circuits was always permitted. I installed a few Lincoln Electric custom power panelboards with 60 spaces. These were for three phase motors for a conveyor system.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
mdshunk said:
Don't they already make them? I'm pretty sure someone posted a picture of the carton flap many months ago, where it showed 40 spaces, 80 circuits.

i said 42 spaces, not circuits. i remember that pic you are talking about. it was a 40/80 homeline model, but was not sold in the USA.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
UL lists PANELBOARDS. They do not have a separate listing for lighting and branch circuit panelboards, power panelboards, or even loadcenters.

There is no reason that UL would not list a panelboard simply because it has (had) more than 42 circuits.

It is only the NEC that has included a circuit limitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.