422.31 Disconnecting Means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leespark57

I'm confused at what the difference between 422.31 (A), (B) and (C) is regarding an out of sight lockable disconnect in accordance with 110.25. It seems like all 3 are saying the same thing. Am I missing something?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
In the 2011 NEC, (A) gave a blanket allowance to use the circuit breaker, even if out of sight and without a permanent means of locking off. Looks like that went away in 2014, and now (A) and (B) are identical.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
In 2017 (A) and (B) are identical, and the online version (nfpa.org) was unshaded, so I assumed 2014 was the same as 2017. But I see now that the 2014 is the same as 2011, and for whatever reason, the online version of the 2017 doesn't have any shading anywhere.

Cheers, Wayne

jumper

In 2017 (A) and (B) are identical, and the online version (nfpa.org) was unshaded, so I assumed 2014 was the same as 2017. But I see now that the 2014 is the same as 2011, and for whatever reason, the online version of the 2017 doesn't have any shading anywhere.

Cheers, Wayne

Slight difference between 2011 and 2014 for (B). The 2014 added 110.25 which means the breaker lock if used must remain. (C) is completely shaded in 2014 so I cannot say what all changed.

So for 2017, (A) now says 110.25 applies?

Leespark57

What I find confusing is the following commentary in the 2017 NEC Handbook, located right after 422.31(C):

"The disconnecting means requirement is more restrictive for appliances rated over 1/8 horsepower. The use of a lockable disconnecting means located out of sight of the appliance is not permitted."

I realize that the commentary is not official NEC code, but it totally contradicts the article and makes me think there is an error in 422.31(C).

jumper

What I find confusing is the following commentary in the 2017 NEC Handbook, located right after 422.31(C):

"The disconnecting means requirement is more restrictive for appliances rated over 1/8 horsepower. The use of a lockable disconnecting means located out of sight of the appliance is not permitted."

I realize that the commentary is not official NEC code, but it totally contradicts the article and makes me think there is an error in 422.31(C).

That is incorrect. For the 2017 (C) clearly states that a breaker lock complying with 110.25 is acceptable.

The commentary is in error. That commentary however would apply (C) in the 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.