422.51 Code cycle 2011 Vending machines and GFI protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockedby277v

I know this one has been beat to death but what I'm not finding on previous posts is receptacles that are feeding vending machines that have a GFI cord attachment plug on it whether or not if a GFI receptacle is stil required.

The way I am reading it only if a machine built prior to 1/1/05 or a remanufactured machine prior to 1/1/05 would require a GFI protected "outlet".

The question is for vending machines in a break room under new contruction.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If the vending machine has GFCI as part of the cord then a separate GFCI receptacle is NOT required. If the receptacle is in the break room and is dedicated for the vending machine and your machine is older model then a GFCI protected receptacle is required per 422.51.

All outside receptacles must be GFCI protected regardless if a vending machine with GFCI cord is being connected or not.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I know this one has been beat to death but what I'm not finding on previous posts is receptacles that are feeding vending machines that have a GFI cord attachment plug on it whether or not if a GFI receptacle is stil required.

The way I am reading it only if a machine built prior to 1/1/05 or a remanufactured machine prior to 1/1/05 would require a GFI protected "outlet".

The manufacturing date of the equipment will dictate the outlet requirement.
The GFCI is required for the vending machine, if it is not part of its cord the outlet would require the GFCI

kwired

Electron manager
If the GFI IS required does it need to be readily accessible??

That is a good question. If it is installed because 210.8 required it, then I say yes, because of the wording in 210.8:"Ground-fault circuit-interruption for personnel shall be provided as required in 210.8(A) through (C). The ground-fault circuit-interrupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location."

422.51 requires GFCI protection but is not covered by wording in 210.8. But an outdoor receptacle or other receptacle that otherwise is required by 210.8 to have GFCI protection - I say yes, the GFCI must be readily accessible.

Shockedby277v

Ok. So if the vending machine comes with a GFI where is it usually located?? If it comes as a cord end ... would the GFI be concidered readily accessible???

210.8 covers kitchens but not break rooms or locations where vending machines are located except wet locations outside.

kwired

Electron manager
Ok. So if the vending machine comes with a GFI where is it usually located?? If it comes as a cord end ... would the GFI be concidered readily accessible???

210.8 covers kitchens but not break rooms or locations where vending machines are located except wet locations outside.
422.51 says it shall be part of or within 12 inches of the attachment plug. Does not mention readily accessible. I don't see how 210.8 (including the readily accessible part) would apply at all unless located outdoors, or in other areas that would otherwise require GFCI because of 210.8.

joebell

I agree with your line of thinking regarding accessibility of the GFCI device whether it is located on the receptacle or the attachment cord of the machine, however the GFCI requirement found in 210.8 for the device to be readily accessible does not apply in this application.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

All outside receptacles must be GFCI protected regardless if a vending machine with GFCI cord is being connected or not.

Edward, you can do better - tell management you want the company break room moved indoors. The cold and snow may be over, but there's no reason you should have to stand in the rain while trying to have a conversation around the water cooler. :happysad:

;)

kwired

Electron manager
Edward, you can do better - tell management you want the company break room moved indoors. The cold and snow may be over, but there's no reason you should have to stand in the rain while trying to have a conversation around the water cooler. :happysad:

;)
What about the smokers that end up taking breaks outside?:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.