424.19 A and B FOR DUMMIES! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houston714

Trying to figure it out for my schooling..... can someone please dumb/simplify this down for me. I've read it a 100 times and get confused half way through it. Thanks

Houston714

No takers? Let me start
A: Disconnecting means shall be within sight?
A1.1 Disconnecting means shall be within sight?
A1.2: With a with a lock out if not within sight?
A2: Disconnecting means listed above is permitted?
A2.1: Is within sight?
A2.2: Has a unit switch, the disconnecting means can be out of sight?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Probably best not to try and understand and remember all of it.

We know it's telling us we must have a disconnecting means.

Just figure out if the unit you are dealing with does or does not have supplementary overcurrent protection in the unit,

Then,

Drill down in that specific category to whatever closely matches your scenario and do what it suggests.

JAP>

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
First, the difference between A(1) and A(2) is the size of the motor (i.e., whether below or above 1/8 HP).

Secondly, the sub paragraphs A(1)(1) and A(1)(2) are "pick one" choices. What is at stake is the ability of one single disconnecting device to serve as the required "disconnecting means" for two separate components (i.e., the motor and the heater). If it is within sight, then A(1)(1) says it can disconnect both. If it is lockable (IAW 110.25), then A(1)(2) says it can disconnect both.

Finally, A(2)(1) and A(2)(2) work the same way, in that they are also "pick one" choices. It is slightly more complicated because you are dealing with larger motors.

Houston714

"""If it is within sight, then A(1)(1) says it can disconnect both. If it is lockable (IAW 110.25), then A(1)(2) says it can disconnect both"""

1st Question: I get A1.1. But on A1.2 did you mean lockable and not within sight? Why would it need to be lockable if within sight?
Bear with me on this....

Last edited:

jumper

"""If it is within sight, then A(1)(1) says it can disconnect both. If it is lockable (IAW 110.25), then A(1)(2) says it can disconnect both"""

1st Question: I get A1.1. But on A1.2 did you mean lockable and not within sight? Why would it need to be lockable if within sight?
Bear with me on this....

If it is lockable then it does not need to be in sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.