440 3p (tap?) connection question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not real strong in industrial/motor load situations so looking for advise. I have a customer wanting to move a cardboard baler, and now has added another small machine to sit beside it.

The baler is self contained with all it's own start/stop etc in an attached control box. Specs to feed are VAC 460, FLA 13.2, Dual Element Fuse Max 25, Circuit Breaker Max 35, Service Disconnect AMP 30. Based on this, figured a 35 amp breaker with a 25 amp fused disconnect fed with 10thhn.

Looked at the new machine nameplate today and it's a 1.5 amp motor fed "chipper". It looks to simply break small pieces of aluminum fed in by hand, so not a large, long term loading situation.

Can I feed this off the line side of the first disconnect to second fused disconnect, fused at 3 amps? Would this be considered a tap? It's being protected by a 35A breaker, so I don't think it's a tap. It's 250' so max 35 amp VD is acceptable for 10 thhn.

I have never really understood how to feed multi motor systems off of one feeder using fuses, etc .. have never been asked to do much of this type work over the years. Trying learn best I can, and I know some of the best electrical brains are right here! :)

kwired

Electron manager
It is only a tap (for the purposes in 240.21(B))if the conductor in question has overcurrent protection that is higher then the ampacity of the conductor. If you run same size conductor as the feeder conductor to your disconnect - it is just an extension of the feeder and not a feeder tap.

Status
Not open for further replies.