440 disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren12

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I was reading through 440 and I am not 100% sure if the disconnect means located with in sight (440.14) is also required for the air handler portion of a traditional split system HVAC, it doesn’t have a hermetic compressor motor like the outside condenser unit. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]In my situation the condenser unit is fed from one circuit and I will install a disconnect with in sight, and the air handler unit is installed inside fed from a a different circuit, wondering if it also requires a disconnecting means within sight? [/FONT][/FONT]

kwired

Electron manager
I was reading through 440 and I am not 100% sure if the disconnect means located with in sight (440.14) is also required for the air handler portion of a traditional split system HVAC, it doesn’t have a hermetic compressor motor like the outside condenser unit.
In my situation the condenser unit is fed from one circuit and I will install a disconnect with in sight, and the air handler unit is installed inside fed from a a different circuit, wondering if it also requires a disconnecting means within sight?
Likey yes, but not because of art 440. 440 doesn't apply because it doesn't have a hermetic compressor.

What you have is a motor operated appliance and 422.31(C) will still require disconnect for such appliance.

darren12

Thanks

Thanks

Yes, thanks for the info. I went and looked and our air handler motor is 3/4HP on this 5 Ton unit. I will follow requirements in 430.109 (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.