460V breaker change no PPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleman

I was going to change out a 460V breaker sizing up from 20A to 30A to feed a small subpanel. I had my 1000V gloves, face shield, flame proof shirt.
My boss stopped me and said we would contract out this job since it had to be done hot. So the contractor comes in with no gloves, no face shield, t shirt and does the change.
The only safety they used was one guy had a hook on the guy doing the change so he would be able to pull him away from the panel. These were guys from a sizable licensed contractor.
I have seen other contractors do hot jobs with no PPE as well. Is this common to work 460V with no safety gear?

oregonshooter

I have seen other contractors do hot jobs with no PPE as well. Is this common to work 460V with no safety gear?

Where I'm at it is. We don't use hot gloves but usually kill the circuit. Our boss will do the live work if you complain (with a set of community hot gloves and safety glasses) but then you are on "the list" which I've been on for a long time.

There is nothing in a manufacturing plant worth working live over some downtime IMO.

Aleman

It would be tough to schedule a panel shutdown. Not impossible but not my decision. I was just surprised that the contractor didn't wear any safety gear.

I watched a video I saw linked here somewhere. Joey's accident? Not sure but it was an arc flash incident and made a believer out of me.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
A hook and a coworkers reaction to pull him back is not fast enough compared to the arc flash.

Turn the power OFF then I will change your breaker, otherwise i am wearing the full PPE. IMO, not putting my self into the danger zone and my family in grief is more important that your office.

zog

I was going to change out a 460V breaker sizing up from 20A to 30A to feed a small subpanel. I had my 1000V gloves, face shield, flame proof shirt.
My boss stopped me and said we would contract out this job since it had to be done hot. So the contractor comes in with no gloves, no face shield, t shirt and does the change.
The only safety they used was one guy had a hook on the guy doing the change so he would be able to pull him away from the panel. These were guys from a sizable licensed contractor.

Your boss needs to read the 70E (Article 110.5), he is just as responsible for the actions and safety of contract employees as he is his own employees.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Your boss needs to read the 70E (Article 110.5), he is just as responsible for the actions and safety of contract employees as he is his own employees.
Beat me to it...
I think the reason they did this is specifically BECAUSE of a situation like what you just described. Boss doesn't want to risk his own workers, or doesn't want to hassle with owning the proper PPE, so he contracts out to someone who will ignore the rules.

Aleman

Beat me to it...
I think the reason they did this is specifically BECAUSE of a situation like what you just described. Boss doesn't want to risk his own workers, or doesn't want to hassle with owning the proper PPE, so he contracts out to someone who will ignore the rules.

The people who used to do most of the electrical work for us were known to not wear safety gear when working hot. I knew that. But then we give this job to another contractor that is wiring a new building for us. I assumed they would be different than the other guys. Not so. That's why I posted, I don't know if it's common practice. But as to your post, my boss stopped me from doing the job, so it did occur to me that he is putting the risk on the contractor rather than a permanent employee. So, you may be right.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
...... I assumed they would be different ...... I don't know if it's common practice. .....

It is a common practice until someone gets hurt and/or killed and OSHA fines the business owner. Then it is not a common practice anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.