480/277v 3 phase to 120/240 single phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 25 KVA single phase transformer that is to be fed by a 480/277v panel. Another electrician said that this transformer can be wired to put out 120/240v single phase from a 480/277v 3 phase feed. I don't see how?

Any ideas?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If it's a 25 KVA SINGLE PHASE transformer, the secondary voltage is normally 240/120., You can feed it with two phases of your 480 system and derive the 240/120 if that is the configuration of the transformer.
\Simply ignore the third phase of the 480.

So I would use the two legs to feed the primary side to get 240 on the secondary side? Is that what you are saying? Since this is a wye configuration, you would use the two low legs?

kwired

Electron manager
So I would use the two legs to feed the primary side to get 240 on the secondary side? Is that what you are saying? Since this is a wye configuration, you would use the two low legs?

Does not matter what configuration the supply is derived from or what is grounded or not grounded on the supply.

If you apply rated voltage to the primary winding you will get rated voltage on secondary winding.

Status
Not open for further replies.