480 3 phase ground and neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

alecnoble

Hello all
We typically have an incoming service of 480 3 phase with a dedicated feeder transformer where we specify a grounded wye secondary connection. We run three phase conductors and a ground to a power panel or MCC, where we have breakers and starters for 3 phase motors. In addition, we have a breaker that feeds a lighting transformer. The secondary of the lighting transformer neutral is grounded and feeds a 120/240 single phase or 120/208 3 phase panel, depending on the requirements. We've been going back and forth whether we need a neutral on the 480 - the NEC implies yes but all the codebook examples are for a 3 phase 4 wire 120/208 service. I'm looking that it's essentially a 3 phase 3 wire service where a ground fault will trip a breaker - others in the office insist its a 3 phase, 4 wire that requires a neutral conductor in addition to a ground. Both would be bonded at both the transformer and in the panelboard/MCC. Any comments?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If you have no 480 volt loads that need a neutral, then you do not need to run a neutral. When you transform down to 120/208, you derive a neutral for the downstream loads. As to a ground fault, the neutral wire is generally not involved in the process of tripping a breaker.

dereckbc

Staff member
Alec, sounds fine to me, that is precisely the way I have designed them for years. You just ground the neutral and it dead-ends, no need to distribute it if not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.