480 Volt 30 amp branch circuit in manufacturing facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank112

I am wiring an area of a manufacturing shop. Currently they have 480 volt 30 amp branch circuits fed from a Buss duct to a cord drop.This cord drop feeds a welding booth, a lifting table that draws 4 amps, an exhaust fan on top of the booth that draws 4.5 amps and a fan used for employee cooling in the summer. 30 amps carries the load but my question is do these small motors require a fused disconnect for each motor. The 2 fans each have a motor starter as does the lifting table. There is a 30 amp receptacle for each piece of equipment. also the so cord used for each piece of equipment is currently 16-4. Is this sized correctly?. Would it make a difference if it was a 20 amp circuit. what code sections would explain how to do this. There are other 480v 30a circuits that feed only the cooling fans. Can these be plugged into a 30a receptacle with no fusible disconnect?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You cannot protect 16ga SO cord with a 30A circuit breaker, if that's what you are asking. 15A would be the largest OCPD acceptable. You would either have to run #10 out to everything, or have a break-out box with 15A breakers for the individual circuits (IMHO).

However you also can't use SO cord for permanent wiring, but we can't see the arrangement you have.

retirede

If the equipment is cord and plug, I think you’re fine. The cord on utilization equipment is not required to be rated for the full ampacity of the circuit it’s plugged in to.

There was a recent thread on this and the ruling was not unanimous!

Status
Not open for further replies.