480 volt disconnect in Industrial setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

benmt

In an Industrial plant, is there a code or violation that says only qualified persons can turn on or off a 3 phase 480 volt disconnect? I can't seem to find anything on it. I can't see just any random person at the plant being able to turn on or off disconnects at that voltage.

Thanks,

Ben

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
In an Industrial plant, is there a code or violation that says only qualified persons can turn on or off a 3 phase 480 volt disconnect? I can't seem to find anything on it. I can't see just any random person at the plant being able to turn on or off disconnects at that voltage.

Thanks,

Ben
Not going to be in NFPA 70.
Maybe in NFPA 70E

benmt

I did browse 70E, but didn't have any luck. I guess it would come down to a company policy then if anything. Thanks

Ben

benmt

When there's problems with machines they seem to think that shutting down the disconnect and turning it back on will reset them. Basically trying to fix things themselves without calling maintenance.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
When there's problems with machines they seem to think that shutting down the disconnect and turning it back on will reset them. Basically trying to fix things themselves without calling maintenance.

I'm not clear on this could possibly be okay with the management for this to be happening. Is this an issue where we are getting only half the story? Like maybe the operators can in fact often fix the machine by doing power reset?

I'm not saying this is right - just asking if it is true.

ice

benmt

Often times the problem can be fixed without doing a power reset, but for some reason they think doing a power restart solves everything (sometimes makes it worse). That's where the question came from.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Often times the problem can be fixed without doing a power reset, but for some reason they think doing a power restart solves everything (sometimes makes it worse). That's where the question came from.

This still sounds like there is a rest-of-the-story. Like maybe the reset fixes it often enough that the operators want to try that before they wait on the maintenance crew? If they are waiting on the maintenance crew - that could definitely be driving their actions.

Again if this is an issue that causes damage, why isn't the management stepping in?

I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm saying if the power down reset practice is hurting production or driving up maintenance costs, there should be a line foreman, or front line superviser, right in their faces - right now. Is that happening? If not, why not?

ice

Status
Not open for further replies.