480v 25hp motor losing strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

titan1021

I've got a client that runs a small food processing facility. I connected this mixer for them approx two years ago and it has worked fine. However they have just informed me that the motor has become weak and the mixer can only handle about a 1/4 of the load it handled just a few months ago. They tell me that any more than about a 1/4 of the original load and the machine struggles to turn. The mixer is used to mix dry cereals in large quantities.
I have verified that it is getting the proper voltages and checked the windings for shorts as well as the ohms. I didn't discover any obvious issues, and it seems to me that it is just reached the end of its service life.
This machine was purchased used by my client with an unknown history. It is a 440v motor and It currently supplied with 480v which is actually about 495v on site. After talking with people here regarding this motor in the past, myself and the client decided to run the motor at this higher voltage knowing that it would shorten its overall life and replace it with a 480v motor whenever it finally died.
Just wanted to check in here to see if I might be missing something or if its time to replace this motor.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210316_100140.jpg
    20210316_100140.jpg
    1,020 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210316_120819.jpg
    20210316_120819.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48

retirede

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an induction motor”get weak.”
Are overloads tripping? Have you checked the current draw under load?

I suspect a mechanical problem.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Do you have running amps from when first installed and recent readings?
Any way to measure RPMs?
Motors for a 480v system are rated 460 v.
Perhaps it a mechnical issue, if overloaded the overloads should trip if properly set.

Getting "weak" after a couple of years? Ask 'em when was the last time they did any maintenance on the machine...

Run the motor unloaded, what's the current?
Run the machine unloaded, what's the current?
If there's more than a little difference, check the mechanisms.

There is also the possibility that what they're mixing has changed and they're not telling you or they don't realize it.

MTW

First guess from the photo is belt slippage on the motor sheave. Once they slip for a while, they become glazed and should be replaced, and the motor sheaves cleaned up.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I concur with a motor issue being unlikely.

It is possible that you could have turn to turn shots in the winding or cracked rotor bars, but as others have suggested I would check for mechanical faults first.

Jon

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
First guess from the photo is belt slippage on the motor sheave. Once they slip for a while, they become glazed and should be replaced, and the motor sheaves cleaned up.

+1, exactly my thought on seeing what is probably a 3 belt set of sheaves under that big cover that are worn and loose. Mght not evel nook like a rubber rope now vs. V-belts.
current measurement and PF will likely show lower power and current.
Another few days and will start to smell the belts big time.

Bad PFC cap an interesting possibility, but those nearly always fail short which would blow breaker.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If it's not a mechanical issue like belt slippage, then I would guess that the motor is getting low (or no) voltage on one phase, for example as a result of a blown fuse, loose connection or a contactor having burned contacts on one pole. If the load on the motor is well below the rating of it, the result will just be a loss of torque and may not show up in the Overload Relay yet. Or it did start tripping the OL relay and someone "cranked up the dial" to avoid having it trip.

retirede

If it's not a mechanical issue like belt slippage, then I would guess that the motor is getting low (or no) voltage on one phase, for example as a result of a blown fuse, loose connection or a contactor having burned contacts on one pole. If the load on the motor is well below the rating of it, the result will just be a loss of torque and may not show up in the Overload Relay yet. Or it did start tripping the OL relay and someone "cranked up the dial" to avoid having it trip.

I had thought about phase loss, but since it apparently starts without issue, it would have to be a really weird (or intermittent) condition that would allow starting but unable to load.

It would be nice to hear from the OP again!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Ah yes the old cranked up the dial trick
I worked with a wise maintenance electrician, who worked on waste water lift stations. The pumps would "rag up" trip the overloads and then it was an electrical problem.
He told me "its always an electrical problem" IE what the mechanics says, but it almost never an electrical problem.

titan1021

I will have to check for the capacitor type, as well as have them put it under load while I am there. I will check on these and follow up on this post.
Thank you all for the input. The overload hasn't been tampered with and I've haven't detected any phase loss.

Attachments

• 20210316_094144[1].jpg
    20210316_094144[1].jpg
    960.7 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.