480V GFCI's - When are they required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tldahl

I've been looking at the NEC 2005 Handbook, Section 590.6. I am curious if under section 590.6(B), Use of Other Outlets, the NEC intended to include 480V connections? - they aren't specifically excluded... My background is more from an OSHA perspective, where GFCI's are required for temporary power installations in construction. OSHA currently does not require GFCI use on 480V connections.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This is your choice, you can protect the 480 volt outlet with a GFCI device, or you can use the assured equipment grounding conductor program. Either option will satisify both OSHA and the NEC.
Don

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I am not aware of any 480V UL listed Class A (5mA) GFCI for personel protection. I know of many 480V GFPE (30mA) ones for equipment protection.

tldahl

It seems like this is an assumption, that the code is applying to 480V. OSHA and the NEC are very close, and the only requirements in OSHA are for construction, and the intent was to protect employees using electrical power tools on temporary power in construction. Is there any NEC interpretation that identifies the 590.6 requirements as applying to 480V? For instance, we use 480V to power TPU's (temp power packs). All the 120 outlets on the TPU have GFCI breakers. So in addition to that I need a GFCI on the 480V connection?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So in addition to that I need a GFCI on the 480V connection?
If the 480 volt power has a receptacle, then you need GFCI protection or an "assured equipment grounding conductor program". Jim indicates that there there are no 480 volt GFCIs available, so you must use the "assured equipment grounding conductor program". 590.6(B) applies to all receptacle outlets other than 125-volt, single-phase, 15-, 20-, and 30-ampere receptacle outlets.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.