480V well pump cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmike

We are designing for the connection of a 5HP well pump with a factory attached cable for power, thermals of some sort, and for level sensor. The well pump controller is located in a water system vault about 75' away. Originally we had a disconnect for power and 2 jb's for signals at the well head where we converted from factory cable to hard wired. This is because NEC article 400, specifically 400.8.6 which says the cord can't be installed in raceway. However, we have been asked to remove the disconnect and put the splices in a handhole because it is in a public area.

Therefore, we use the NEC exception to eliminate the local disconnect and have a lockable controller main disconnect. We will then have a handhole at the well head for the splices. My question, is we will still need to put the factory cabling in some form of conduit to get from the well head into the handhole, maybe 5' or so. Is this still a violation of 400.8.6? If so, I don't see any other practical way of doing it. How is this typically done?

Somebody may question me, if we allow the factory attached cable to be installed in raceway the 5' between well and handhole, why not just run the factory cable the 75' to the vault. What would I respond?

mjmike

Change to UF cable in the well head. That would be typical, for here anyway.

This is a 480V pump for a commercial water system. We are running individual conductors in conduit to the well. Not sure the well head is rated to make splices in it.

kwired

Electron manager
Submersible well cable is not an art 400 flexible cord. Unless it would have multiple ratings (never seen any that does) it is only listed for use in the well casing. Where else but in the well head are you going to transition to another wiring method? Make transition there and eliminate the hand hole is my suggestion, also leaves you with one less place for a failure to occur.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Submersible well cable is not an art 400 flexible cord. Unless it would have multiple ratings (never seen any that does) it is only listed for use in the well casing. Where else but in the well head are you going to transition to another wiring method? Make transition there and eliminate the hand hole is my suggestion, also leaves you with one less place for a failure to occur.
My experience with this parallels kwired's. The submersible well pump cable I have encountered has no additional markings that would allow its use outside of the well casing and common practice in this area is to splice in the well head to a wiring method approved outside of the casing. As a side note you might want to assure compliance with 250.112(M) if the well casing is metallic.

mjmike

My experience with this parallels kwired's. The submersible well pump cable I have encountered has no additional markings that would allow its use outside of the well casing and common practice in this area is to splice in the well head to a wiring method approved outside of the casing. As a side note you might want to assure compliance with 250.112(M) if the well casing is metallic.

ok, we can make the splice inside the well casing, but doesn't the well casing need to be rated for allowing wiring splices to be made in it? We would also splice the signal cables in there as well I would assume.

kwired

Electron manager
ok, we can make the splice inside the well casing, but doesn't the well casing need to be rated for allowing wiring splices to be made in it? We would also splice the signal cables in there as well I would assume.

I guess I don't know what any listing might be or if there even is a listing on what they typically cap the well casing with. Most I have seen have a threaded entry for electric though, and as already mentioned the submersible cable is not listed for anything but use within the well casing.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I guess I don't know what any listing might be or if there even is a listing on what they typically cap the well casing with. Most I have seen have a threaded entry for electric though, and as already mentioned the submersible cable is not listed for anything but use within the well casing.
Presumably most AHJs would allow the cable to extend far enough out of the well casing to terminate in a box attached to the well cover.
Otherwise you open up the parallel argument that THHN cannot extend out of a raceway into an enclosure to be terminated. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dzboyce

Occupation
Washington 03 Electrician & plumber
In Washington state pump installers are dual licensed as both specialty electricians and specialty plumbers. We hold a dual license. Both licenses are required to install a pump and water system. We pull electrical permits and our work is inspected by electrical inspectors from WA state L&I.

I always splice from the submersible wire to thhn inside the well casing. Yes, if the well casing is metal it needs to be grounded. Inside the well casing is considered to be a wet location, so I use wire nuts that are rated for that, or shrink tubing.

Status
Not open for further replies.