48VDC cabling under raised floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reko19

We have a project in article 645 compliant data center. Client needs to install 48VDC plant, cabling from the DC plant to the DC distribution bays will be installed under raised floor. Could this DC cabling be installed without a conduit or a wireway? 645.5.D(2) deals with branch circuits for receptacles or field wired equipment so I don't think it is applicable.645.5.D.(5) does not cover this either.

Any help would be appreciated.

tkb

You mean, no conduit, no wireway, no cable tray?
Just lay the wires on the floor?

Thats pretty hack in a critical environment.

reko19

Lets say cable tray for the sake of this discussion. It is pushed by a client, I just want to see if this is code compliant.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
You mean, no conduit, no wireway, no cable tray?
Just lay the wires on the floor?

Thats pretty hack in a critical environment.

Have you ever looked under a raised floor?? Not trying to be rude, but hacked or not, it is usually an unbelieveable mess under there. You'd think those IT guys would be very neat and precise with all their wiring, but not in the data centers I've seen.

Code wise, I'm not sure. Just taking a guess off the cuff, I'd say single conductor wires would probably not be allowed, since its probably not class 1, 2, or 3. And if the floor is used for air distribution, you might have problems finding a cable with the right rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.