5-15 cord cap on MC cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do y'all think of this? I have always been uncomfortable with it. I googled it and found this:

https://vetco.net/products/armored-cable-mc-cable-male-ac-plug-nema-5-15p

I never really looked at he description of these things and was surprised says AC and MC, although I didnt try to find the actual listing documents. Seems like the armor should bond to the cap, although if the armor was bonded on the other end it wouldnt be necessary I guess.....

MAC702

I did notice that it says "MC cord" instead of "MC cable." I accept that kind of inaccuracy from even some "electricians," but it does make me suspect a product when an official description doesn't get it right.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
What you see is what you get. I wouldn't obsess over it or let it keep you awake nights.

duty_calls.png

I have seen those type of caps called "armored", so perhaps someone down the line mis-described that as being used for armored cable. Anyway, my question wasnt necessarily about that specific item, so in general Is it ok to put a cap on MC? If so, what type would you use?

I did this twice yesterday: It was two refrigeration unit sets with remote compressors. The evaporator took power and had a 5-15 female that sent controlled power to the compressor. They had them set up with SO cord which I didnt deem accetable to I replaced it with MC. I didnt want to get rid of the recep as it was in a really difficult space and that whole task was not really on my to do list anyway... Im not having trouble sleeping over it, just curious.

kwired

Electron manager
I will say I have seen them on AC/MC or 3/8 flex before. Not sure if listed for it or not.

Not sure why you wouldn't just use flexible cord if you are going to have a cord cap anyway either.

Seen them called "armored" cord connectors before - presumably because of the mostly metal outer housing. They typically will have a bonding contact point that bonds that outer metal housing to the EGC pin of the assembly.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
What do y'all think of this? I have always been uncomfortable with it. I googled it and found this:

https://vetco.net/products/armored-cable-mc-cable-male-ac-plug-nema-5-15p

I never really looked at he description of these things and was surprised says AC and MC, although I didnt try to find the actual listing documents. Seems like the armor should bond to the cap, although if the armor was bonded on the other end it wouldnt be necessary I guess.....

I did try to find the documents and came up empty handed. All I found was the catalog page it was shown on.

http://www.philmore-datak.com/mc/Page 204.pdf

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Its UL listed, not sure what UL listing it is.

Manufacturer page pic.

Capture.png

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Rebranded product? Counterfeit listing? Only ones I have ever seen that look like that used to be "Eagle" products, which I think was taken over by Cooper, and then Eaton.

It's from the Philmore catalog. A rebrand I dunno. I only looked for that item # by philmore.

Many many things are rebranded. "Pentair GFI" made by Siemens, etc etc etc and etc.

There's only 3-4 LCD/LED panel makers in the world, yet about 250 different brands of LCD/LED TV's being sold.

kwired

Electron manager
It's from the Philmore catalog. A rebrand I dunno. I only looked for that item # by philmore.

Many many things are rebranded. "Pentair GFI" made by Siemens, etc etc etc and etc.

There's only 3-4 LCD/LED panel makers in the world, yet about 250 different brands of LCD/LED TV's being sold.
You said manufacturer page pic. I don't know what Philmore is, but guessing a distributor and not the manufacturer of whatever this product is. Could have some products they sell "rebranded" with their own private label though. Kind of like how Grainger has "Dayton" name on a lot of products they sell, many of those are same, or very close to same as other name brand products and made at same places, just with any minor changes in specs and different labels applied.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
You said manufacturer page pic. I don't know what Philmore is, but guessing a distributor and not the manufacturer of whatever this product is. Could have some products they sell "rebranded" with their own private label though. Kind of like how Grainger has "Dayton" name on a lot of products they sell, many of those are same, or very close to same as other name brand products and made at same places, just with any minor changes in specs and different labels applied.

Most "manufacturers" don't make anything. Is Ford a manufacturer of cars? That word is a legal term.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

Could be either.

LKG Industries, Inc.dba Philmore/Datak/Carter Craft/Pfanstiehl imports, manufactures and markets thousands of electronic accessory items for use with consumer items, in categories such as Audio, Video, Television, Telephone and Personal Computers, as well as connectors and switches for use in manufacturing

kwired

Electron manager
Most "manufacturers" don't make anything. Is Ford a manufacturer of cars? That word is a legal term.
Well one time they were those making products to sell or distribute, but yes today they may not be the "makers" or at least not the maker of all components of their product(s).

Early years Ford was making nearly all parts of their cars, Henry Ford did not want to contract anything out in any way if at all possible. They even started side businesses with by products. Charcoal briquettes from my understanding started as something to do with left over wood pieces from making wood spoke wheels for the Model T. I think Ford also started Firestone tire and rubber company for rubber and tire products for their vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.