50/50 vs 100/0/100 Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
When designing an N-1 substation, is it better to have two transformers loaded 50% each, or a single hot spare?

1580920589897.png

1580920607856.png

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Question with a question...
what are your no load and full load losses in the transformer?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
No load vs full load losses...

a transformer sitting there doing nothing but being energized is using power resulting in system losses.
you have to weigh the benefit of having one sitting there idle vs the losses with carrying half the load.
FWIW, we have three stations with two transformers each that are 3/4 Loaded at max demand.
i wouldn’t consider 50/50.
I would get a bigger transformer.

we have a spare on the yard that can be moved to multiple stations.
for emergencies we have mobilesthat can be in operation in about two hours

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
No load vs full load losses...

a transformer sitting there doing nothing but being energized is using power resulting in system losses.
you have to weigh the benefit of having one sitting there idle vs the losses with carrying half the load.
FWIW, we have three stations with two transformers each that are 3/4 Loaded at max demand.
i wouldn’t consider 50/50.
I would get a bigger transformer.

we have a spare on the yard that can be moved to multiple stations.
for emergencies we have mobilesthat can be in operation in about two hours

I like and agree with the idea of having two trafos. Why wouldn't you consider 50/50 loading though? It takes time to get a spare in place where is with 50/50 loading you can restore power in a second.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I like and agree with the idea of having two trafos. Why wouldn't you consider 50/50 loading though? It takes time to get a spare in place where is with 50/50 loading you can restore power in a second.
How often do transformers go out?
We have a 1954 XF that is still in service.
that’s a lot of capital sitting doing nothing.

we test every five years, so the hope is to catch problems before they get catastrophic.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
How often do transformers go out?
We have a 1954 XF that is still in service.
that’s a lot of capital sitting doing nothing.

we test every five years, so the hope is to catch problems before they get catastrophic.

You're right- and in the past they were often connected directly to the line or busbar via a simple disconnect.

But- when one does fail- I'd hate to see customers go several hours without load to bring in a mobile unit.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
You're right- and in the past they were often connected directly to the line or busbar via a simple disconnect.

But- when one does fail- I'd hate to see customers go several hours without load to bring in a mobile unit.
Like I said, two to three hours.
thunderstorms have customers out of power longer

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
True- but I still don't fully like the idea.
thats because you don’t have to fund the idea, or explain to your shareholders why there are 30 million in transformers sitting just waiting on one to go out.

if you had to do that you’ll get used to it.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
thats because you don’t have to fund the idea, or explain to your shareholders why there are 30 million in transformers sitting just waiting on one to go out.

if you had to do that you’ll get used to it.

You think shareholders understand electricity? 😛

Or simply implement recloser loops schemes. Load both trafos to 3/4, loose on unit and transfer load to neighboring substations then initiate auto throw over.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
You think shareholders understand electricity? 😛

Or simply implement recloser loops schemes. Load both trafos to 3/4, loose on unit and transfer load to neighboring substations then initiate auto throw over.
Simply...

Status
Not open for further replies.