50 amp 250 volt ext cords ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

socalelect

my current project has been going thru all of the ext cords at work . all have checked out good
but there are a few that caught my eye they get used to welders and plasma cutters the cable is 6/3 SO with a 5-50 cord cap on one end and on the other end a 4x4 sq box with a 5-50R recep mounted in it i know the 4SQ box is a NONO . im trying to find a solution for this but i am having no luck finding a 5-50R female cord cap any ideas ??

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
A FS box would be a durable alternative, but I think the only thing you will find in a cord cap will be twist lock or pin and sleeve, that would mean changing all of the plugs on the welders.

socalelect

cow,
my mistake for some reason or another i was thinking the 6-50 was the 14-50 so yeah we use the 6-50's we have bought some assembled cords from the welding supply with molded caps but the cord sucks it has the cheesy pvc insulation that basically turns into a rock when its cold . i know the 4sq boxes are no where near code compliant I have considered switching everything over to the "CS" style cord caps like the temp cords have , but that will be a major undertaking to switch everything over and im sure somewhere along the lines that would become less than compliant as well . the biggest problem with the 4sq boxes is they fall apart due to the fact there not meant for "portable" use . i was thinking of a pendant box if i could find one about the size of a 1 " bell deep box but im not sure if i can fit the recep in there (math time)

norcal

I do not know if they are still a catalog item but check out a AH6709H from Arrow Hart, I bought it to get rid of a 4 11/16 square box on the end of my welder cord & ended up sending cord to the scrap yard.

Note a google search & a visit to the Cooper Wiring Device site yielded no results of any value so it prob. has been discontinued.

Here is a picture of it.

IMG_0143.jpg

socalelect

Just a thought; Why not increase the length of your welding leads ?

I wish it was that easy , the welding equipment they have is limited on lead lenght , mig is 15 feet on the gun .
there is a extension available for the plasma but its ungodly expensive like 550 bucks for a 25 foot

im going to check with my supply house and see if the arrow hart connector is still avail

but i think in the end i will end up switching to the temp cord style twist locks to prevent the weldors from getting shocked when connecting and disconnecting the cords . theres discos at all of the receps but they are too lazy to turn them off first

maghazadeh

If your welders ever work in construction sites, using a construction temp cord style will give them flexibilty of available power without changing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.