50 amp rv shop receptacles

fishtape

Occupation
Electrician
Gents, I am bidding an RV repair facility. It has 20, 50 amp rv receptacles mostly in the building and a few on the exterior. These outlets should be protected by gfci circuit breakers being it is in a shop environment, at least I cant find anything in the code that states otherwise. 50 amp 2 pole breakers are not available for the 400 amp panel board. Am I wrong that these need gfci protection. If this were an rv park it would not have to be gfci protected but since its in a repair shop I believe it would. Any thoughts? Or am I missing something.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I was thinking something similar: a sub-panel with GFCI plug-in or bolt-on breakers, since so far that seems to be all that is available. Siemens and Eaton both have them rated 22kAIC, don't know if others do yet.

Todd0x1

I was thinking something similar: a sub-panel with GFCI plug-in or bolt-on breakers, since so far that seems to be all that is available. Siemens and Eaton both have them rated 22kAIC, don't know if others do yet.
midwest U054C and special order have them install gfci breakers.

fishtape

Occupation
Electrician
I spoke with the engineer and they said there are several options they are looking at including service entrance conductor sizing, installing separate panelboard and verifying the rating with Duke Energy.
May reach out to midwest and see if thats an option. I would prefer the "reset" be near the work area than on the other side of the building.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
You just need 50A? Why not 30a as well? Or are they going to use dog bones?

I like the Siemens TL137us boxes for outdoor RV receptacle locations.