500 watt FRPC dimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Anybody got a lead on a Forward/Reverse phase dimmer, 120 volt? Got led retrofit coming up, 8 fixtures in one room, 18 in the other. Sheetrock ceiling, no access from above, so 0-10 v a no go. They do have dimmable compact fluorescents existing, but only three wire dimming ballast. 220 watts led in one room, 495 led in the other.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Anybody got a lead on a Forward/Reverse phase dimmer, 120 volt? Got led retrofit coming up, 8 fixtures in one room, 18 in the other. Sheetrock ceiling, no access from above, so 0-10 v a no go. They do have dimmable compact fluorescents existing, but only three wire dimming ballast. 220 watts led in one room, 495 led in the other.
I converted a Church's lights to LED a few months ago. The largest LED dimmer I could find was 450W. I think I needed 380W so the dimmers worked out good for that. Only draw back was they wouldn't dim all the way down. But they dimmed most of the way and the members were satisfied.

hillbilly1

Occupation
This is a golf club dinning room, and a main entrance room, so I will not need total dimming. Usually I can find stuff pretty easy, but the internet tonight is coming up with bogus searches. It was built back in the 1900’s so very little chance the joists are trussed.

hillbilly1

Occupation
On page 2 of the document from Leviton below they list a MLV (forward phase) dimmer rated for a 500W LED load, and another one for a 750W LED load. Also there's an ELV (reverse phase) dimmer rated for a 500W LED load.

https://www.leviton.com/en/docs/G-9437_Renoir_II_Dimmers_Spec_Sheet-FINAL.pdf
Thanks! I was reading the forward phase dimmer was hard on the electronics, that reverse phase is preferred. I did find a 2400 watt dimmer for poultry houses! But it uses a 0-10 vdc input, which I would have to get back to a large dimming module. Chances of that room being on a dedicated circuit would be slim.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Status
Not open for further replies.