500kW interconnection to utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardM

Hello all, I would just like a bit of input from you who have experience in the utility.

I am designing a small solar array and was hoping to get some input and answers to a few of my questions.

It seems relatively straightforward getting this set up:

500kW PV array -> DC fuse/Circuit breaker -> Inverter (Non-islanding) -> Interface Transformer -> Primary fuse -> Disconnect -> Pole.

My current issue in this is the whole pole connection and pole spec. Where can I find the necessary pole spacing, height as well as what it actually takes to connect to the pole from the transformer. I am still a student, so these things are all completely new to me, and any help is most appreciated.

djohns6

Any interconnection to a utility is going to require you to play by their rules , as well as the NEC , etc . Each utility has their own regulations and requirements and you will have to consult with them . It's a little more complicated than your setup .

mdshunk

I wouldn't exactly call 500kw "small", especially for a student project. In any event, pole line construction details are pretty well covered in "The Lineman and Cableman's Handbook". Been in print for almost 100 years.

djohns6

mdshunk said:
I wouldn't exactly call 500kw "small", especially for a student project. In any event, pole line construction details are pretty well covered in "The Lineman and Cableman's Handbook". Been in print for almost 100 years.

If this is just a class project that doesn't go beyond the design stage , then yeah use the book .

RichardM

mdshunk said:

Great! That's the sort of info I'm looking for.

djohns6 said:
If this is just a class project that doesn't go beyond the design stage , then yeah use the book .

It is not simply a class project. It will actually go into production, but at the moment I am in the initial stages of getting to know everything that's going on.

So what would you suggest other than the previously mentioned book?

charlie

RichardM said:
. . . It is not simply a class project. . .
If you were on our system, we have instructions and contracts on the Internet in our Goldbook. We have Level 1, 2, and 3 applications and agreements (contracts) plus there is a section in the Goldbook text to add the basic requirements.

As mentioned before, contact the serving electric utility. I assure you that they will have definite requirements and instructions for you to follow. :)

djohns6

charlie said:
If you were on our system, we have instructions and contracts on the Internet in our Goldbook. We have Level 1, 2, and 3 applications and agreements (contracts) plus there is a section in the Goldbook text to add the basic requirements.

As mentioned before, contact the serving electric utility. I assure you that they will have definite requirements and instructions for you to follow. :)

To add to the above , the utility that I work for has a 25kw limit on residential systems and 100kw on commercial systems . 500kw is serious business . The metering and protection could get pricey .

Status
Not open for further replies.