506.17 Flexible Cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

amg

I am reading article 506 because we are furnishing some equipment that will be installed in a Zone 22 location.

----

Can anybody explain 506.17.(1)... "Be of a type listed for extra-hard usage."

1. Does "listed" in this context refer to the definition in article 100?
2. What is "extra-hard usuage"?

----

There will be several field devices (pilot lights, pushbuttons, limit switches) all wired into junction boxes. We will be supplying the wiring between the field devices and the junction boxes. I am trying to determine the best way to do this wiring. Is there any problem using PLTC with cable glands both at the field device and junction box? 506.15(B)(4) states PLTC cable is acceptable in cable trays. What if the run is just a few feet? Are cable trays a requirement if the cable is properly supported and protected?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
1. Does "listed" in this context refer to the definition in article 100?
2. What is "extra-hard usuage"?
1. Yes
2. See Table 400.4 and look under the "Use" column. It will identify the appropriate cables.

There will be several field devices (pilot lights, pushbuttons, limit switches) all wired into junction boxes. We will be supplying the wiring between the field devices and the junction boxes. I am trying to determine the best way to do this wiring. Is there any problem using PLTC with cable glands both at the field device and junction box? 506.15(B)(4) states PLTC cable is acceptable in cable trays. What if the run is just a few feet? Are cable trays a requirement if the cable is properly supported and protected?
Installing PLTC per applicable Article 725 Sections is generally acceptable. Section 725.61(D)(4) [PLTC-ER] may be of particular interest to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.