50Hz equipment on 60 Hz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A customer is importing some Italian equipment rated for operation at 380 volts, 50 hz.
I can get to 380 volts, but how can we develope 50 hz to operate the equipment?
These will be large presses and pumps. I don't have the nameplate data, yet.

John

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
voltairzap said:
A customer is importing some Italian equipment rated for operation at 380 volts, 50 hz.
I can get to 380 volts, but how can we develope 50 hz to operate the equipment?
These will be large presses and pumps. I don't have the nameplate data, yet.
Are we talking large, or are we talking LARGE? Data would help.

The 50 Hz, you need to make yourself, via VFD or rotary converter, I suppose.

Need more info on this it is too short a info to verify it correct

the other thing that once we get the data from nameplate we can go from there.

there are some of us we can guide you in the right idea how to convet from 50HZ to 60 HZ and the other thing is the motors they get tricky there too

Merci , Marc

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Before you go too far with trying to change things, you can probably apply 460V 60 Hz to the motors no problem, as long as you can live with the 20% faster speed. Find out if that will matter and if not, don't bother changing anything. Motors work on a V/Hz ratio: 380/50 = 7.6V/Hz: 460/60 = 7.67V/Hz, close enough.

Controls may be a different matter because in the 380V world, they often use Phase to Neutral to get 230V for controls (or to feed a 24VDC power supply). If that's the case, you will need a 480-240V control transformer. By the way, if you use a VFD to get 50Hz, you will have this problem anyway, you cannot (or should not) put the control system on the output of a VFD.

Over time, your motor starter and relay coils will fail from having 60Hz applied to them, so just be ready with replacement 60Hz coils from the same manufacturers (or change them preemptively).

Made in Italy

Made in Italy

I just got SOME of the motor data.
There are four motors.
1=5.8KW
2=41.3 KW
3=27.2 KW
4=15.2 KW

I haven't seen the rest of the layout yet, whether they are controlled from a single cabinet with its own control voltage, or if they are stand-alone machines.
This will be a critical piece of information about the ultimate solution. I will post more information as it comes in.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
voltairzap said:
I just got SOME of the motor data.
There are four motors.
1=5.8KW
2=41.3 KW
3=27.2 KW
4=15.2 KW

I haven't seen the rest of the layout yet, whether they are controlled from a single cabinet with its own control voltage, or if they are stand-alone machines.
This will be a critical piece of information about the ultimate solution. I will post more information as it comes in.
Someone will have to determine load characteristics and requirements. If they are driving hydraulic pumps, flow and load HP will be 1.2x original. They commonly work ok.

If a fan, doesn't load go by cube of speed? ... load 1.7x original ... NO WAY if designed reasonably originally.

Those don't look like "normal" IEC motor ratings, either. 5.5, 15, 30, 37, and 45 kW are "traditional" IEC ratings near those you were given. I'd suggest a lot more research before you get bit.

I've worked for a German, 2 Swiss and 3 Japanese EDM manufacturers and have installed almost evry type of macgine tool availible. Most overcome this problem by changing taps and wiring in the machines. You'll have to reconnect tranformers, motors, swap out breakers and overloads, maybe exchange a pump impeller or 2 but that will still probably be much cheaper and more relaible than a phase converter. I'd be surpised if a reputable machine producer doesn't have a written procedure for doing so. Contact the manufacturer or the rep and see... ask how everyone else that has one working correctly did it? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.