50v between neutral and ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamjamma

Like He Said.

Unless you are looking at a 110 panel in Europe, then it is on a site transformer and has a voltage drop because 110 circuits here in Europe are 55 volts to ground on what the USA considers line and neutral, and 110 volts line to neutral. Safety regulation for working at all building sites.

But not applicable in USA, usually.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Phantom voltage can only exist on conductors that are not connected to each other.
In a properly-installed subpanel, the ground & white wires will be connected to each other in the main panel. There should be no more than ~3 volts difference (voltage drop on white wire), regardless of voltmeter impedance.

gar

Occupation
EE
190110-0913 EST

johnjohnls.js:

At your main panel measure the voltage between the EGC bus and the neutral bus. Should not be very large, just millivolts. If this voltage is large, then the problem is before the main panel.

Assuming that the main panel measurement is good, then connect a long test lead to the main panel neutral bar, an extension cord will work.

At the subpanel measure the voltage of the neutral and EGC buses relative to neutral at the main panel. This will tell you which or both of the wires from the main is the problem. Further probing along the problem wire may identify where the problem is. Could be an open wire buried somewhere, or more likely a termination point at either the main or sub.

Gary11734

How could a sub pannel show 50v netween neutral and ground?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

If they were using the ground as the neutral on one of the circuits in the sub-panel, could we see 50 volts?

The first thing I would do is turn off all the circuits in the subpanel and see if the voltage is still there. Does this make sense or do I need more coffee to wake up?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You can also simply measure voltage between each hot and neutral and each hot and EGC. One should measure ~120v and ~120v, and the other should measure ~170v and ~70v. The problem will be on the one, neutral or EGC, with the gross imbalance.

It should be the EGC, because, presuming the sub-panel is in use, because if it was the neutral, you would be observing a great amount of open-neutral symptoms, which you did not mention.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is the power source for the panel a transformer? If so, I would suspect a missing system bonding jumper. I have seen that happen many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.