517.12 - applicable to in-ceiling receptacles ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I’m not seeing any exemptions to the redundant grounding requirement for this install, so I think it will be a requirement ….

This is a dentist office. Each “operatory room” has a television mounted horizontally in the ceiling at a height of 10’. I do believe I will have to use HCF cable to feed these, but just making sure I’m not overlooking an exemption somewhere in 517. It looks like only lighting fixtures above 7’-6” are excluded.

I’m using 15v switches here so just looking at receptacles only. I rarely do patient care areas so asking for input.

Also the vacuum and air lines are copper; I haven’t yet delved into bonding requirements for that, so any input there is appreciated. I’m wondering if they are considered effectively bonded by the EGC to the compressor. They will be routed beneath the concrete slab. The bonding detail in the drawings doesn’t mention it. And to clarify, there are no med gas lines, just compressed air for cleaning and vacuums for suction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
This is a dentist office. Each “operatory room” has a television mounted horizontally in the ceiling at a height of 10’. I do believe I will have to use HCF cable to feed these, but just making sure I’m not overlooking an exemption somewhere in 517. It looks like only lighting fixtures above 7’-6” are excluded.

The TVs are going to "lay-in" the ceiling grid like a light fixture 10' above the chair? If so I wouldn't treat them any different than a lighting fixture. No HCF required. And don't look to the NEC for guidance, it will be 10 years before they realize that that's a thing.

-Hal

tank728

Occupation
Electrician
If the TV is to lay in the ceiling like a light fixture, I think 400.12 or 400.10 is going to play a role. The cord from the TV plugged into the ceiling receptacle will be a violation.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Sorry, it should have said “on the ceiling” not “in the ceiling.”

It would seem to me there wouldn’t be any issue with having a standard recep there but I can’t find anything that clearly says it doesn’t have to be HCF or metallic conduit with supplemental ground.

f41cf269eb59c9a82bc33046ec2ec56e.png

HEYDOG

I’m not seeing any exemptions to the redundant grounding requirement for this install, so I think it will be a requirement ….

I’m using 15v switches here so just looking at receptacles only. I rarely do patient care areas so asking for input.

Also the vacuum and air lines are copper; I haven’t yet delved into bonding requirements for that, so any input there is appreciated. I’m wondering if they are considered effectively bonded by the EGC to the compressor. They will be routed beneath the concrete slab. The bonding detail in the drawings doesn’t mention it. And to clarify, there are no med gas lines, just compressed air for cleaning and vacuums for suction.

IMO if your going to be running HCF anyway…if it’s not going to be that much more costly..I would probably just install it and wouldn’t have to worry about if it is going to be a problem. Or contact the inspector and find out what their take is on it!

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I agree. But like I said in my first post, don't expect the NEC to even be aware of it. My only thought supporting wiring a ceiling receptacle with HCF is that it could be used to connect a drop or pendent for some equipment in the room if the TV is removed.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.