517.30 & HDPE conduit use - clarifications request

Status
Not open for further replies.

legato

Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer
Hi All,

I saw a post that was made back in 2007 that sort of talked about article 517.30 and the use of HDPE to go from an outside plant to feed a pump.

I am looking to go about 350' from a CUP that houses a generator and run a 800a 480V feeder to connect to an existing hospital's essential equipment distribution switchboard which feeds the ATS'es for Life Safety loads, Crit. Emergency loads, and Equipment System loads.

517.30 (C) (3) doesn't clearly say HDPE, it only lists PVC sch 40/80.

I would like to know if I'm allowed to use Schedule 40/80 HDPE and use a horizontal bore drilling process to run the feeder underground from the CUP to the hospital's main electrical room?

I understand that the feeder is not part of the "emergency system", rather it is the alternate source of power from the generator feeding the essential equipment distribution that would then feed the emergency systems or equipment branch systems.

Greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

ncwirenut

This is the way I understand it. Chapters 1 - 4 applies to health care facilities feeders in 517 unless modified by the article. I cannot find anything that modifies the feeders. 517.13 only applies to the branch circuits. For feeders supplying Critical Care areas pay attention to 517.19(D). If you have one device for ocp at the generator, you must have a selective coordination study per 700.9(B)(5)a-c.

legato

Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer
Hey Ncwirenut!

Thanks for the explanation. HDPE is listed for horizontal boring applications in Chapter 3, so I believe I am good there.

I'll note that coordination requirement. I didn't realize that was code required.

This is the way I understand it. Chapters 1 - 4 applies to health care facilities feeders in 517 unless modified by the article. I cannot find anything that modifies the feeders. 517.13 only applies to the branch circuits. For feeders supplying Critical Care areas pay attention to 517.19(D). If you have one device for ocp at the generator, you must have a selective coordination study per 700.9(B)(5)a-c.

Status
Not open for further replies.