540.51 Index Question

Cybatrex

I've been studying for my Masters Exam and I have a question, it's a dumb one but please tell me how you would look this up in the index.

Question
Luminaires:
Lamps located in cellulose nitrate film vaults shall be installed in rigid luminaires of the __________ type.
Answer is in 540.51

In the index, I tried
Luminaires - No Answer Here
Lamps - No Answer Here
Hazardous Locations - No Answer Here
Film Vaults - Just references section 530.

How would you go about finding the answer to this using the index of the codebook?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you search the NEC for cellulose nitrate you'll find the answer. The code section posted is incorrect. Look at 530.51. It's in the index under Article 530, Part V.

Cybatrex

If you search the NEC for cellulose nitrate you'll find the answer. The code section posted is incorrect. Look at 530.51.
Your correct, its 530.51, that was a typo on my end.
There is no index word for Cellulose Nitrate.

I keep getting caught on questions like this where looking them up isn't as easy. The answers are hidden.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Your correct, its 530.51, that was a typo on my end.
There is no index word for Cellulose Nitrate.

I keep getting caught on questions like this where looking them up isn't as easy. The answers are hidden.
I'm sorry I said index it's actually in the contents at the front of the code book. In the 2017 it's on page 70-5.

Geber

Occupation
PE, retired electronics engineer
I took a couple of photography classes while I was at USC. The film we're used to dealing with is either cellulose acetate or polyester, which are no more dangerous than the plastics we have all around us. Cellulose nitrate is much more flammable when new and gets even worse when it's old. They haven't made it in many decades, so all the remaining stuff is old. That's why there's special provisions for it in the NEC.