551.73(F) RV's 2020 Addition Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

azugey

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Each RV shall be powered by only one 30A or one 50A external supply cord. Can someone explain the logic behind this article to me?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The substantiation for that change was:
This will prevent modified RV's from plugging into more that one receptacle to provide power to their RV. This is not intended to prevent the use of the 20 amp circuit while using the 30 or the 50 amp circuits. Many RV parks are seeing coaches arrive wanting to plug into two 50 amp circuits. They have had their coaches locally modified to power additional loads on their coach. Supplying the coach from two sources is a dangerous practice and many park operators are looking for direction on preventing this practice.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Thats what the code making panel said. For Art 551, code making panel 7, there are reps from the RV mfgs association, and that would be a good source to clarify and answer your question. Look on page 70-16 in the 2020 NEC

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So it's strickey to prevent adding additional load to RV park infrastructure's? I'm looking for clarification of your description "dangerous practice"?
That is not what I said, that is from the substantiation that got CMP7 to put this in the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.