Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

Could I get some comments on what "specifically approved for the intended location" means?

Would a transformer with a weather shield meet this intent, or would the transformer have to be actually built for marinas?

And what is the "bottom of the transformer"? Is it the bottom of the housing or the bottom of the coils?

Thanks in advance,
HWS

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: 555.5

The "intended location" is outdoors in an area that may cause the transformer to be hit with water spray (maybe "salt water" spray?). I don't know what a "weather shield" is, but its name doesn't lead me to expect that it will be adequate.

555.5 talks about the "enclosure" of the transformer being above the electrical datum plane. It is not talking about the bottom of the coils.

hardworkingstiff

Originally posted by charlie b:

555.5 talks about the "enclosure" of the transformer being above the electrical datum plane. It is not talking about the bottom of the coils.
Thanks Charlie. I realized this morning that I did not read that correctly last night. I spoke with the assistant chief electrical inspector today and his suggestion was to put the question to the engineer on the "specifically approved for the intended location" question.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by charlie b:
I don't know what a "weather shield" is, but its name doesn't lead me to expect that it will be adequate.
Good call IMO, a typical weather shield will make a transformer rain tight but there better not be strong winds. :roll:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by hardworkingstiff:
. . . his suggestion was to put the question to the engineer on the "specifically approved for the intended location"
If I were the engineer on your project, and you put that question to me, I would simply call a few vendors, and ask what they make for this type of application.

Status
Not open for further replies.