5g antenna light pole street

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
So I have 5g antennas on new street light pole. I have 30A feeder breaker inside building feeding load center 120V single phase on the light pole.

The load center has main breaker, and branch circuit breakers. The feeder goes in the light pole itself and branch circuit cables also go in light pole to antennas for power along with light power cables.

Question is the light pole structure? It has foundation and does the load center on light pole need to comply per NEC 2014 Section 250.32 establishing grounding electrode system?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
We establish a GES at any load center that is not in/on the building the feeder originates. That can be as simple as two rods.

But wait I now have one feeder and one branch circuit to structure which is light pole. Is this allowed? I thought it’s one branch circuit or one feeder?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I would agree with Tom (Post #4)... even though the Code notes items like "poles" are not considered separate structures, this is a remote panel not on the primary structure and supplied by a feeder,. A GES would be required.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I kinda have a hard time believing there is not a GES system spelled out in the plans/specs for a cell antenna structure.
I definitely agree. From what I've seen cellular carriers typically have extensive requirements documents that often go beyond the NEC. And grounding and lightning protection is an area that would almost certainly be covered.

synchro

Occupation
EE
There are a lot of 5G systems being installed on existing street lighting poles, 5g needs more cell towers than 4g for a given coverage area.
Yes, it's a continuation of the inevitable progression of getting more "re-use" of the available frequency spectrum by going to smaller cell sizes to accommodate more users and provided them with higher bit rates.
In areas of high population density there will also be more antenna arrays for implementing MIMO (multiple-input multiple-output) systems to effectively create more communications channels in the same spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.